This article reviews the PhD Scholarships at UK Universities. Article will also give an insight and best tips of getting admission through PhD Scholarships UK.
PhD Scholarships UK – Background
An educated man will always wonder if he should continue learning after completing a level of education. It is not just enrolling in a class that is involved, after all, but deciding which field of study to focus on, determining where to get funding for the whole program and weighing if losing employment income is worth continuing school. To those who are eager put getting a PhD over anything will definitely do well in the next years of their doctorate. It is important to have everything covered with thorough research and resourcefulness.
PhD scholarships (UK) are everywhere. They are provided by research councils, colleges and commercial organizations. Some are even covered by charitable groups in the hopes that their funded students will be able to help them in the future. This is actually the implied relationship between a student and a scholarship — the institution will pay for their education as long as they lend their services to their cause in the future. With this in mind, it is adamant that an aspiring doctorate student is prepared with his application.
- Get as many finance sources as possible. Although, the United Kingdom is home to seven research councils and many more organizations willing to fund a talented student’s PhD program. It is never definite that he will be picked as each funding is initiated differently. If a student is not eligible to one, he can easily move on to the next. It is important not to be lacking in research just in case it becomes necessary to consider international
- Start as early as possible. Unless the applicant has an inside man within the workings of every organization and institution he is interested in, he can never know which ones are offering PhD scholarships (UK) and when they are going to start receiving applications. Better to send out those applications early than risk not being entertained because the application is already closed.
- Know the grant. The best way to get the attention of the funding body is to tailor the application based on their core values and goals. Aspiring doctorates should make their positions Once the institution notices that the applicant’s goals and future benefit coincides with their own, they are more likely to look favorably at the application.
PhD Scholarships UK – List
The Research Council is where most PhD scholarships (UK) are provided. It is the gateway of aspiring doctorates in acquiring a grant. The RCUK makes sure that all applications are given equal considerations and are cross-referenced to the appropriate council that can give a student full funding. Awards are only given to the best application to make sure that only those with the highest quality for research are funded. Currently, there are seven research councils:
- Arts and Humanities Research Council (AHRC) – It is responsible for granting funds to encourage research in the field of arts, literature, humanities, law and archeology. Every year, they give out 1,350 awards.
- Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council (BBSRC) – It has the largest public fund in the United Kingdom whose purpose is to support scientific researches aimed at understanding and utilization of biological systems.
- Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC) – It provides government funding to university research that caters to the exploration of engineering and physical sciences.
- Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC) – This council is heavily funded by the Department for Business, Innovation and Skills to support research on the socio-economic issues today.
- Medical Research Council (MRC) – It is a publicly funded council responsible for the many breakthroughs in the field of medicine. It continues the tradition by providing funds for medical research.
- Natural Environment Research Council (NERC) – It is a British research council that fully funds researches on environmental sciences. Its main goal is to gather information, apply the knowledge acquired and predict the changes of the natural environment.
- Science and Technology Facilities Council (STFC) – A UK research body responsible for funding research in physics, science and astronomy.
Other PhD Scholarships UK can be acquired through commercial and charitable organizations. The notable ones are the Cancer Research (UK), The British Academy known for its South Asian Studies, The British Federation of Women Graduates, Royal Geographical Society and The Action Medical Research. It is evident that it is never about the shortage of funding but the quality of research and return benefit of a possible investment. As long as a student has that, then he should have no problems getting a PhD.